When I was ten, I was pretty angry and if you ask me, rightfully so. My mom was in jail. My dad had remarried and as a result there was very little peace in my home. I will save you my sob story and just say there wasn’t much to get excited about.
Enter Mrs. Dixon.
I’m grateful for Mrs. Dixon. She was my fifth grade teacher who taught me about the power of words. She is the reason that I started keeping a journal, and that journal, has really saved my life. Many times. I share the story in this week’s episode of Incredible Factor TV. Now, I couldn’t imagine myself without my journals, they are what gives me the strength to move forward.
Honestly, that is why when Shari’s question came in, I was a little baffled:
“Hi Darnyelle, I have heard so many people including you talk about journaling. I have never owned nor written in a journal. Would you please share what all the hype is about?”
Watch my response to Shari’s question in this week’s episode of Incredible Factor TV:
What I didn’t get to say in the episode that is uber important is that, journaling is one of the best ways to offset your fears, self-sabotaging beliefs and other mindset issues. In fact, when you journal, you can shift your subconscious, especially if you do it as soon as the fears start. Fear occurs whenever we experience a need to do something we truly believe in our heart we should do. Resistance pops up and we become afraid, confused or stuck. If you work through that feeling by writing about it, you’ll notice your fears subside, making way for you to do what you know you must.
To this day, I actually have several different kinds of journals that I keep, which I’m happy to share with you:
1. An accomplishment journal – where I share all of the things I’ve accomplished in my life. I mean from graduating from high school to writing my first book and everything in between. This journal has become my “once impossible, now easy” list. I keep track of all the good I’ve done because I know that knowing what I am capable of is one of the best ways to stop me from getting stuck when I am facing a new opportunity.
2. Gratitude journal – where I write what I am grateful for. There is such truth in taking time to focus on what you are grateful for. In fact, when you focus on what you are grateful for, you invite God to bring you more experiences just like that. Gratitude is amongst the highest emotions and gratefulness triggers the flood gates of abundance to open on your behalf.
3. Discovery journal– where I write what I learn about myself and others through experiences, dreams and people. The more I discover, the more I realize that I am here with a purpose to fulfill. It gives me the courage to do what I know I should no matter what.
4. Dreams/ideas journal – where I keep all of my ideas. This is the journal that is worth millions! I keep track of my ideas and dreams in this journal and when I have down time or I’m ready to begin a new project, I look in this journal for my latest and greatest inspiration.
When you start journaling, you can use your journal for any of the following:
- A non-judgmental safe place
- To wind down and clear your palate
- To track your progress
At the end of the day, journaling is a process by which you will renew and fresh your mind so that you can do the big work you were created to do.
Your Assignment: Get a journal and pick an area of focus for that journal and begin writing. I recommend that you write in it each day for at least 10-15 minutes. Just clear your mind, speak your truth, do whatever will ease your burdens and position you to go for what you know! And, be sure to let us know how writing in your journal helps you!
Now, I want to hear from you. What’s your two cents? Do you keep a journal? Why or why not? What is it about journaling that helps you? If you have a journal why would you recommend this practice to others?
©2013 by Darnyelle A. Jervey. All Rights Reserved. Darnyelle A. Jervey, MBA, The Incredible Factor Speaker, Business Coach and Marketing Mentor, is the founder of Incredible One Enterprises.com, Incredible Factor University® and the Leverage Your Incredible Factor System®, a proven step-by-step program for more clients, more income and more leverage in your business. For more information and a FREE audio CD “7 Critical Mistakes Entrepreneurs Must Avoid When Unleashing Your Incredible Factor So You Attract More Clients, Make More Money and Gain More Leverage” just fill out the form below.