“Focus on the Deposits, not the withdrawls.” Darnyelle A. Jervey
Today is the last day of the 1st quarter of the new decade. How was it for you? Before you answer me, know that I don’t want to hear all of the problems or setbacks you suffered. Why is it that when others ask us to “weigh in” on our progress, we immediately go to a place of deficit? YOUR PROMISE IS BIGGER THAN YOUR PROBLEMS. Now that you’ve shifted, what Incredible things happened for you this quarter?
When I am coaching a client, I always start each session by asking, what one exciting/good/Incredible thing happened and what are they most grateful for since our last session. Why? Because I don’t want them to focus on the withdrawls of life.
Unfortunately, until you make a Non-negotiable decision that you are looking at life through incredible eyes, you will experience the fact that what you think about expands. I stopped watching TV because everywhere you turn the media is so focused on painting a picture that will depress you. Those debilitating thoughts of the economy, etc will keep you in a state of paranoia, wondering if your job will be the next to go. If you think like that, the thought will expand and you may find yourself counted in the unemployment statistic….Everyone seems to be focused on what we don’t have…a strong economy, a booming real estate market, but WHAT ABOUT WHAT WE DO have – the deposits – HEALTH, STRENGTH, A HOME, A CAR, LOVED ONES, NEEDS MET. Sure, I could fix my mind around each of those things, which do not impact me and become discouraged, BUT I have chosen instead to focus on what I do have and can continue to enjoy in my life. Everything that you need you have it…it was deposited in you before you were formed in your mother’s womb.
Don’t you get bad news everyday? People are always trying to tell you what you cannot do, who you cannot be, what you cannot have. ENOUGH.
I have one simple question for you: What do YOU want?
Do you want the deposit or the withdrawl?
If you’re thinking like I want you to think, you want the deposit, so I have a few quick painless tips that will help you to focus on the deposit so that you can invite more deposits into your life.
1. Minimize the amount of input you allow others to put into your experience. For example, If all you do is sit in front of CNN (or other news channel) all day, you are probably a pretty dismal individual. What value is CNN adding to your life? Life is not to be lived constantly looking over your shoulder or afraid to take the next step in your life or career/business.
2. Get clear on what you want and what it will take to get there.
3. Spend a minimum of 15 minutes each day doing positive life affirming activities: affirmations, reading something motivational, meditating, setting goals, developing a plan, writing in a gratitude journal, etc.
4. Hire a coach to help you to size it up and help to hold you accountable to the plan to begin focusing on the deposits.
5. Take a deep breath and as you exhale, picture your life as if you only experience deposits.
How does that feel?
I bet it feels Incredible!
Copyright (c) 2010 Darnyelle A. Jervey All Rights Reserved
Darnyelle A. Jervey is a certified coach, speaker and author committed to imparting skills, strategies and solutions to define and unleash the Incredible in the lives and businesses of women. Her company, Incredible One Enterprises, LLC is a full service empowerment firm in Newark, DE. For more information, visit https://www.incredibleoneenterprises.com